Sunday 23 March 2008

The Killing Fields


I have watched "The Killing Field" during the past weekend. It has been so long since I wanted to watch it. It is based on true story about a freindship between an American and Cambodian journalists, Sidney Schanberg and Dith Pran. The movie covers the Khmer Rouge era(1975-1979), when innocent Cambodians were slaughtered. It shows how Pran could survive the killings during his hardest years as a captive.

I like this movie though it's quite depressing. But who can deny that Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge period was not the most depressing one?

Cambodia took an agony it didn't cause. It was a changing international circumstances, especially major powers' conflict, that put Cambodia into that position. A new phase of the Cold War; U.S.-China rapprochement; Beijing and Moscow tension over Southeast Asia, brought about naive people's agony.

I just don't want the movie to end happy.

Because there was no happy ending in Cambodia.

1 comment:

Azli Jamil said...

Last I was there I met the man John Malkovich's role was based on.
Cambodia is a country where I have yet to meet a fat person.
I see to many dead eyes there and each time I see a person of the right age, my mind wonders "Has he killed?"
Next week, I shall be there again, to photograph intensity...
It is the most emotionally draining country in SEA for me.